Friday, February 11, 2011

Jerry

Yes, I'm a fan. By that I mean I'm fanatical about things. I don't like much but what I like I tend to be a little obsessed with. Bikes, food but music especiallyJerry.

Jerry had an affect on me when I was but a young lad without responsibility or focus. I loved it and I'm extremely ... Grateful...blah. Yes, I'm grateful, lucky is a better word.I haven't listened to much Dead or Jerry in a long time. Here and there yes but not necessarily on purpose. It's just playing here and there. A good friend recently gave me hours and hours of Dead but more importantly Jerry Garcia Band. Jerry Garcia Band, or church as many know it, is about the most soulful stuff around. That man had more pain, love, regret, guilt, joy, talent and hope in his little finger than just about any musician before or after has ever aspired to have period. He had his own style of playing that cannot be copied. His voice poured with raw vulnerability. Unfortunately the man was a mess. A heroin addict for years and countless other health problems. He devoted himself entirely to music. I doubt he could do much else after a certain point anyway but those of us on this side are lucky to have had it.  There is a lot of Jerry band that I simply can't listen to now. This I discovered by mistake in the car listening to a version of Shining Star that hit me so hard I had to pull over. 11-9-91 in Hampton. For the most part the show is standard but the Shining Star is incredible. Listen to it. Email me for the link to download it. It's worth it. The older I  get the more important this stuff becomes. We get older, we experience more of the shit hurricane that life throws our way time to time and good music just means more. Thanks Jerry.

No comments:

Post a Comment